So you finally got a cat after thinking about it for a while. But the only issue you now face is how do you approach caring for cats?
Important things to consider when think of caring for cats
Companionship – cats need companionship regularly. Although cats are more independent domestic pets, they require constant support and motivation in anything as cats are very self-conscious animals.
- Balanced Diet – cats require a high protein diet as well as constant access to water.
- Exercise – cats need a place to run around and play. Although we call this ‘play’ it actually is exercise to cats as it keeps them moving and active. This is required to keep a cat fit and healthy.
- A cosy home – just like humans, cats need a comfortable place to return to after a tiring day outside. This is essential when thinking of caring for cats. Their sleeping place has to be cosy as well as the house in general has to be clear from dust and wet or damp areas. This is to avoid your cat catching flu, a fever, or even fleas!
- Litter box training – cats naturally cover their faeces with sand. However, they may not be familiar to using a litter box. If a cat excretes in a certain place inside your home, put the litter box there the next time around as that is probably the cat’s preferable place to do its business.
- Scratch posts – cats need to constantly sharpen their claws so in order to avoid ripped up furniture pieces and a mess inside your home, buy a scratch post for your cat to sharpen his or her claws. This is essential caring for cats.
- Microchip – This can be considered as a method to track down a lost cat. As cats are more independent, this may lead to wandering around without notice of the owner and at times they may wander too far and get lost. Putting a microchip on the cat’s collar will help the search process by a huge amount. Although microchips can be expensive, love is priceless!
- Vaccinations – you have to ensure that your cat is regularly taken to the vet for vaccinations against the common cat diseases such as pneumonitis. Vaccinations have helped prevent several fatal deaths of cats and will continue to prevent these dangerous diseases from killing cats. This is crucial in caring for cats as vaccinations keep your cat safe!
- Grooming – cats need to be groomed well and thoroughly especially since they lick their own coat. As an owner, you have to ensure that your cat is as clean as possible to avoid any complications with cat hairballs that might lead to other cat health problems.
In conclusion, the knowledge of caring for cats is essential to all cat owners as this will guide a person on how to be an amazing cat owner!